Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Old Man of the Sea - Zbrush

click to enlarge
Here's the completed 'Old Man of the Sea' character I made.
Sculpted in Zbrush, rendered using Zbrush's BPR, composited renders in Gimp; final piece made up of effects made in After Effects and hand painted work.

I really enjoyed making this fella. I loved the idea of a tough-as-nails, elderly squid-man who lures victims into allowing him to ride on their back until they die! The tattoos were a lot of fun. I read a bit about maritime tattoos and included a couple of references in the image such as swallows and dragons and things like that. I mostly used swirly polynesian tribal tats because  they just looked cool. I especially like the swirly tentacle design on his chest and the 'Redrum' writing on his belly :)


Previous postings can be found on this blog on the evolution of this old coot - just look for the tag 'old man of the sea'.

No comments:

Post a Comment