Tuesday 10 September 2013

Clothes tests with Marvelous Designer

I've been messing around with 3d clothing simulator Marvelous Designer (that's actually how it's spelled btw). 

One of the main reasons why many of my  characters  are naked or shown from the neck up is  that  I am  absolutely  terrible at  sculpting  clothing! What I like about Marvelous Designer is that you import your mesh, and actually create clothes based on real-world patterns. What I don't like is the finicky way it works - that and that fact that I have zero  knowledge  of understanding patterns.
Below is a test I did making cargo pants and a a top which I exported as an OBJ and imported to Zbrush for posing. Now, I cheated a bit (a lot!) with the top  because  I just slightly altered a pattern that is freely available from the Marvelous Designer downloads section. That's why the top looks pretty good and the pants look...hmmmm........
Top and pants made with Marvelous Designer. Hat and shoes courtesy of my bad sculpting in Zbrush!
click to enlarge
If I can just get my head around pattern design and adjust to the Marvelous Designer interface then it could really help me make some more decent-ish looking clothing for my characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment